Teaching English at local schools
This is a very challenging and very rewarding program. Learning English is very important for Nepali children to boost their self esteem but also because English has become one of the most important aspects for getting and creating opportunities.
One can see what the importance is of volunteers when you know the Nepali education policy. There are several differences between public and private schools. Private schools are expensive to compare to public schools however they have more facilities and qualified teachers. Where public schools have poor conditions such as not being able to provide quality education, lack of facilities and unqualified teachers. The government has been ignoring the need for new methods in the education system to make the public schools comparative to private schools.
Besides English, volunteers can teach whatever they feel will be benefical to the children. Previous volunteers have also given, physical education classes / yoga- meditation / geography / teambuilding excerises.
The teachers are friendly and will help you get started and the children are eager to learn. The ages of the children are between 4 and 16 years. You can always tell your own preference for what age you want to teach but we also look at which classes need your knowledge the most.
Together with the teachers you are responsible to motivate and take care of future prospects for the children and teach in a creative way!
- You will observe the class in the first couple of days, this will help you to figure out their English level and prepare your classes.
- You will be allowed to run your class on your own.
- Organizing extra activities like art, drawing, sports, drama or any other extra curriculum activities. Your ideas need to be discussed with the school principle or school coordinator before you execute them, they may help you with ideas or tell you which materials are available in school. Otherwise you will be expected to bring own materials.
- You have to follow curriculum but sometimes you can have your own lessons as well but it is important to focus in conversational English since students are a little bit shy to speak.
- If there are teachers absent in school you might be requested to cover that class. Even though it may or may not be your subject, if that’s not your subject you can teach whatever you want.
- Sometimes you might be requested to teach science and math subjects which are done in English.
- Use school break times as informal class by simple conversation with teachers and students.
- Tutoring extra classes in school or in community for young boys, girls or women who need extra attention and support.